Where We Work
Guatemala is a Central American nation with coastline on the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Guatemala shares borders with Mexico, Belize, El Salvador, and Honduras. Totonicapán is one of Guatemala's smallest and poorest departments and is located in Guatemala's mountainous Western Highlands.
- Guatemala Population: 14,647,083
- Languages: Spanish and 23 indigenous languages officially recognized including K’iche’, which is the dominant language in Totonicapán
- Chronic malnutrition affects the lives of eighty percent of indigenous children in Guatemala
- Three-stone fires require women and children to gather huge amounts of wood daily (18,000 pounds per family per year), contributing to Guatemala’s deforestation level of two percent per year
- For further information, please consult the Needs Assessment